A new position, the Marketing Director leads the effort to align brand strategy and supporting activities with the Maine Seacoast Mission’s purpose, values, and programs to build support among donors across Maine and the nation.
Reporting to the President and based at the Mission’s Colket Center in Northeast Harbor, the Marketing Director is the Mission’s senior leader overseeing planning, activities, budgets, and personnel dedicated to marketing, communications, public relations, and events. The Director supports and coordinates Mission-wide administrative efforts with other senior leaders and works with program directors to tell the compelling stories of those served by the Maine Seacoast Mission.
The Maine Seacoast Mission understands that integrated marketing is more than just consistency between communication channels. As Prosper Strategies explains in their Nonprofit Marketing Manifesto, “Nonprofit marketing comprises the activities, touchpoints and messages that motivate stakeholders to take actions that advance a nonprofit’s mission and create sustainable social change.” Those interactions go beyond traditional marketing activities and include program activities and personal relationships. The stakeholders involved include donors, clients, partners, and Mission staff themselves. With this understanding, integrated marketing is a core strategy for achieving the purposes of the Maine Seacoast Mission.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Marketing Strategy and Implementation
The central task of the Marketing Director is to plan and execute Mission marketing efforts in alignment with our strategic vision, purpose, and values.
Execution of Initiatives
The Mission’s central administration is responsible for key administrative functions, including finance, marketing, IT, human resources, and fundraising. The Marketing Director will coordinate with the president and other senior management team members to:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in marketing
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing
- Management experience in supervision; budgeting; planning; and project management
- Comfort using graphic design and with events as well as social media, media relations, and digital content as part of an integrated marketing approach
- A Bachelor of Arts degree
Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the following areas is required; others are helpful
- Graphic design
- Videography and non-linear editing
- Digital photography and photo editing
- Writing for marketing and communications
- Event planning and management
- Social media content production and management
- Familiarity with the Maine media environment
- Nonprofit experience
Environmental and Working Conditions
The Marketing Director works primarily in the Maine Seacoast Mission’s Northeast Harbor headquarters, with frequent visits to other Mission and off-campus program sites and meetings. The position requires
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- While some remote work is negotiable, the position requires several days each week in Northeast Harbor.
- Travel (reimbursed) in the Director’s own vehicle to Cherryfield and other program or meeting sites.
- Occasional boat trips.
- Work with outside vendors and contractors.
- In-person, videoconference, and hybrid meetings.
We offer an excellent salary and benefits.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Ann Cox Halkett, Director of Administration. We will begin reviewing applications on August 16, 2021.
The Maine Seacoast Mission believes diversity makes us stronger and is an equal opportunity employer.