College Exploration & Engagement
A college preparation and transition program that supports students with learning about, preparing for and successfully transitioning toward college.
Beginning in 2019. Building upon our existing EdGE and Maine Seacoast Mission Scholarship programs, we introduced a new college readiness program for high school students. It centers on college preparation, persistence and completion. Working with partner high schools and colleges, both programs provide opportunity for more Downeast students to explore, prepare for and persist through higher education pathways.
What is it?
A preparation and transition program that supports students with learning about, preparing for and successfully transitioning toward postsecondary education.
Who it Serves
- Rising sophomores from Sumner and Narraguagus High Schools
- Students who will be the first members of their immediate families to graduate from a four-year university
- Motivated students with a minimum 2.5 GPA who complete program application
- An anticipated cohort of 15-20 students selected each year
- Annual overnight retreat on a college campus
- Monthly workshops, opportunities, and experiences
- Weekly 1:1 check-ins and support
- College Trips
- Family Workshops
- Graduation celebration
- Additional incentives for progress through and completion of the program
Where is it?
- Local college campus for annual retreat
- Sumner and Narraguagus High Schools
- EdGE Center in Cherryfield
When it Begins
Summer 2020 for Class of 2023 Cohort